Saturday, December 4, 2010

From "Junk" to Jewelry

Have broken jewelry? Only have one earring to a pair?  Really pretty buttons that don't have a jacket or shirt to go to? Well - let me show you what I did with all my miscellaneous pieces!


I love old costume jewelry, but sadly a lot of it is missing a gem or rhinestone...and I have a box full to prove it! But I still love the charm that it has even when broken.



I used these pieces as a source and start of inspiration.  By adding a few of the elements together on what was an old broach, I turned these "broken" treasures into a beautiful piece of art.


I used an old key (I found a bag full at an estate sale!) and a jump ring to give this piece its finishing touch.




I know a lot of people don't wear broaches anymore, so I added a chain (bought at Michael's) to create a necklace.

When I lived in New York I like to frequent the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market. On one of my shopping trips, there was a vendor who had boxes of old "junk".  So I dug and sifted and found a bunch of old watch pieces.  I didn't know what I was going to do with them, but I had to have them. 


All I did here was take three different vintage watch heads (not in working condition obviously) and attached them together with jump rings and a chain to create an elegant bracelet. 


You may not be able to tell the time, but you will have a wonderful story to tell :)



2 comments:

  1. You live with your "best friend and husband?" Isn't that a little crowded?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should say my best friend who is also my husband!

    ReplyDelete