Thursday, December 2, 2010

Handmade Felt Ornaments

The last couple months I have been experimenting with felt and making little shapes and animals and coming up with ways to use them.  In the spirit of Christmas, I thought, "Why not ornaments?" Although these are quite bright and colorful, they could easily be made with more seasonal colors.  
This was my process.


Materials needed: Felt, Ribbon, Needle, Thread, Handmade Stencils, Poly Fil, 
Buttons/Sequins/Rhinestones for eyes


Start by cutting all of the pieces in felt and apply wings/ears, or whatever outer element 
you may way, with a simple blanket stitch. 
(Sorry I got wrapped up in making the silly things that I forgot to take a picture of the stitching!)
In case you want to learn, here is a good tutorial for a Blanket Stitch


Before you complete the stitching be sure to stuff the felt animal/shape with poly fil to give them a little dimension.  It is also a good idea to add the ribbon loop before sewing the two sides together.


I like to use two colors and alternate them on each side so that it is like getting two-in-one!



And who says they have to be hung on trees?  After Christmas is over, you can hang them up in a kids room as cute decorations!




But of course, in the spirit of things, I had to make a Christmas tree!




2 comments:

  1. Very sweet. You know what we call them at my house?

    Doggie Toys, all stuffed ornaments are such a temptation for Buster, he sneaks up to the tree and snatches them off and then runs.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Idea Whitney I had no Idea you were so creative Keep up the Good Work. Deb Bagwell

    ReplyDelete